Friday, July 8, 2011

First Date - Mission Accomplished?

The following was written my my way home last night from my first "first date" in forever. 

*           *            *

For anyone reading this who may have a first date in their future, I have a few of my own "do nots" for you....
  • Do not be afraid to be over dressed. 
  • Do not interrupt her while she's talking. 
  • Do not make her buy her own drinks if YOU asked HER out. (This goes the other way around too!).
  • Do not talk about dying relatives.
  • Do not ask your date if she wants kids some day (its too early in the "relationship"). 
  • Do not ask if you've caught her on the rebound. 
  • And most of all do not leave the house without brushing your teeth.

Now let me start off by saying it was good to "get back on the horse". The first time after a break up is the hardest. And while I'm glad I got it done and over with on some level it was a complete BUST! 

So where to start? 

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I feel like when I ask you "Where do you want to go?" you should have an opinion

He asked me out and just kept saying "wherever you want to go" but even after I narrowed it down to two locations STILL couldn't tell me which he preferred. I even recommended he check out the websites - this might have also helped him realize old faded jeans, stained t-shirt and running shoes was going to make him look under dressed. It was a first date, I didn't pick a place (and yes, I eventually picked where we went) with a dress code but wear a button down shirt or at least one that fits and isn't stained! 

Before I left for my date I mentioned being so nervous I could throw up - a friend recommended hitting my date's shoes and not his tie (because a tie is harder to clean). Well there was no tie and his sneakers looked like someone else had beat me to the vomiting. 

Okay, attire aside (because we didn't discuss clothing quality/expectations before the date)...can we talk about bad breath and yellow stained teeth? Can we talk about not using the word "prick" or the phrase "like African...you know not African American but real Africa" when describing stretched earlobes, using air quotes while talking about his sister's Life Partner or talking about his dying brother in a flippant "he's a smoker" manner.

Gentleman (and Ladies) let me insert this - sometimes when people (i.e., me) are nervous they talk.  Talking doesn't equal "not nervous" and thus do not interrupt your date to say "You aren't nervous". 

It is also natural for a conversation to flow from topic to topic and change direction. It is not okay to cut the other person off and say "Well back to what you asked me a few minutes ago..." It's rude and makes the person (me) feel like what they (I'm) saying is unimportant and not worth hearing. 

Yes, I have my first "first date" under my belt. However if it did anything it reaffirmed my belief in:

1) Long Distance Relationships can and are a good thing
2) Meeting single Portland men online isn't for me.
3) Breaking up with my ex might have been the worse thing I could have ever done.

I'm going to bed now regretting the past few months and wishing I could wash the date out of my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Morgan Morgan Morgan, dating now a days is not something any of us know how to do. The social, private and public spaces have morphed, shifted if you will, and with that came a whole lot of folly.

    For example, You have online dates (This befuddles me to no end), and when having a virtual date you can get away with poor hygiene and being under-dressed. Are these real dates? sure. Did the public-private-social paradigms changed opening the spectrum for different types of dating? absolutely. Did your date leave his common sense next to his toothbrush, and took his online attire to a physical date? I am afraid so.

    Although the politics of dating have changed tremendously, some have not:

    1)You are still a complex, smart, beautiful, curious, human being, WOMAN hear me roar

    2)This date should not be used to assess your past relationships, there is a correlation but no causation.

    3)Now that you got that out of the way, next virtual date should be on video chat date, so you can assess the hygene and taste! Why not, technology is not going anywhere, so let's adapt.

    I love you Jackie's Sancha,

    Sincerely,

    Jackies Wife

    Cheers!

    Liz Padilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not easy for sure... Never met anyone who liked me AND fit my list of "what I want" ... Good luck <3 Mp

    ReplyDelete
  3. oy vey! I congratulate you on getting through such a trial! Now gear up for the next one, right?? ;-) Hopefully this one will have heard of tooth paste. <3 you!
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow he is a true FAILMALE! At least you came out of the date learning what you want in a guy. Also, someone who does not brush their teeth before a date is definitely not worth your time.

    Good luck on your next date and feel free to submit stories to our blog :) follow us back!

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete