Friday, April 2, 2010

Joining the Circus

I really am in awe of my friends...

They are the people working behind the scenes to help make the world a better place one day at a time. Whether working locally by fostering "troubled" teen boys or working with young homeless youth. Then there are those working internationally - traveling to developing countries to help set up programs for hospitals and blood banks or tracking and recording the breeding patterns of endangered species.  These people, my friends, are amazing and life changing.

So is it any surprise that I look upon them and find myself unfulfilled in my jobs: Dorm Mom, Envelope Stuffer, Phone Answerer.

My background certainly can't be considered having had a career. the closest I came to a "career" was stumbling into the Residential Life and Housing departments at colleges and universities (i.e. "Dorm Mom"). Being called at 3AM to bust students for smoking pot and drinking or, worse, because a toilet is overflowing into the downstairs neighbors' apartment.

At 27 I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I've toyed with a few ideas. Thought about what I might want to do for the rest of my life: psychology and counseling, art therapy, museum administration, artist, multicultural center director....hell I'm sure once or twice I've thought about running away and joining the circus (circus - theatre - same thing...right?).

I start looking into the jobs, seeing the requirements, researching what types of degree I would need (because as I'm sure we'll discuss in a further blog - my bachelor's degree is silly and useless). In the end the moment of passion fades and I'm back to wonder:

By 27 shouldn't I have a career?

Shouldn't I, at least, know what I want to be when I grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment